Thursday 30 July 2015

Books I've Been Reading #1

Hello everyone! How are you all today? I thought I would do a slightly different post today. Last month I finally got round to joining our local library and have been enjoying reading a lot more books! I had kind of got in to the habit of simply reading books for academic purposes rather than enjoyment so it has been nice to read for pleasure again. Here are a few books I've been reading, both ones I have borrowed and ones I have bought, and what I thought:




Us - by David Nicholls
I must admit I actually bought this book because it was on offer in Waterstones and thought I would try something different to my usual crime thriller. However, I am really glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story follows Douglas, a biochemist, in his struggle to save his marriage to his wife and salvage his relationship with his son, Albie. This takes them through Europe on a somewhat dysfunctional holiday, as well as some more personal reflections on how they came to be as they are today. I really did enjoy this book - it genuinely made me giggle to myself but also had quite emotional moments. Overall, I would definitely recommend and would give the book 4/5. 

One Small Act of Kindness - by Lucy Dillon
I can't remember where I saw a fellow blogger's beaming review of this book (if it was you then thank you!) but when I spotted it in the library, I decided to give it a try. The story follows Libby and her husband Jason who have moved back to his parents house to renovate their B&B. Things get disrupted however when a young woman gets knocked down outside their house. She can't remember who she is or where she is from and Libby is determined to help her take the steps back to rebuilding her memory. Overall, I did enjoy this book although I did feel some parts dragged a little and were filled with conversations for the sake of filling pages in the book. However, there was a twist towards the end that I thought was exciting! 3/5.

Reconstructing Amelia - by Kimberly McCreight
I love books that keep the reader guessing as to what really happened so when I read the blurb for this book I knew it would be for me. When Amelia, a young teenager, jumps to her death from her school building, everyone is sure it is suicide. Kate, her mother, isn't so sure - she can't comprehend that her daughter would take her own life. She sets about looking deeper into her daughter's life and begins to realise there were a lot of things she did not know about Amelia, nor things that she could have predicted. The book flicks between Kate's viewpoint and Amelia's viewpoint before her death. This style can sometimes become confusing but really worked for this book. The story was exciting and full of twists and turns - exactly what I love in a book. I really warmed to Amelia's character and even felt a little teary at some points. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book and would give it 5/5.

What books have you been reading lately? Any recommendations?


Thanks for reading!

Share:

6 comments

  1. Ooo Reconstructing Amelia sounds sooo good!! Will totally check it out! Great Post! xxx

    Anisha ♥ All You Need Is Red Lipstickl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anisha, I really enjoyed all the books but especially Reconstructing Amelia! I couldn't put it down x

      Delete
    2. I not only bought the book but have already finished it too!! And it was sooo good! Could not put it down and the ending was totally unpredictable! Thanks for the recommendation! Xxx

      Delete
    3. Aww yay! I am so glad you liked my recommendation and enjoyed it as much as I did too! I am reading another exciting book at the moment so I will do a review on that soon too.

      xxx

      Delete
    4. Ooo look forward to it :)) xxx

      Delete
  2. All these books sound really interesting. I loved One Day by David Nicholls so I'd really like to give his other books a go.

    http://beewritesx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!

© Food, Thoughts, Life | Lauren Taylor | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig