Thursday 19 March 2015

Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato

I have now joined the world of twitter! Follow me at @taylorlr540

Hello! I don't know about you but sometimes you just need some comfort food and I think cottage pie is definitely one of mine. A little while ago my friend mentioned to me that she uses sweet potato as a topping for cottage pie rather than your regular potato, so I decided to give it a go. I think it would be the perfect dish to make the night before, refrigerate, then stick in the oven when you have had a busy day at work!

To make you will need:

  • 1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 200g pack of beef mince (or quorn mince for a veggie option!)
  • 1 stock cube
  • 1 mug of hot water
  • Half a mug of peas
  • A splash of milk
  • Salt and pepper (to season)
  • Cheese (an optional topping!)


  1. In a pan, fry the onion for 4-5 minutes. Add the beef.
  2. In another pan of boiling water, add the sweet potato and leave to simmer.
  3. Once the beef is browned off, add the peas, hot water, stock cube and salt and pepper. Allow to cook for around 15 minutes.
  4. Drain the potatoes and place back into pan. Add a splash of milk and mash together.
  5. In a heatproof dish, add the beef mixture followed by the sweet potato.
  6. If desired, you could add a sprinkle of grated cheese at this point to make a cheesy topping (I like doing this!)
  7. Cook at 180c for around 15-20 minutes. 



I love how vibrant the sweet potato mash is!

What are your favourite comfort foods?

Thanks for reading! Lauren x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!

© Food, Thoughts, Life | Lauren Taylor | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig