Wednesday 25 March 2015

Food for thought!

Hello everyone!

I have decided to write a slightly different post today. Last night I watched the BBC’s ‘Truth About Sugar’ documentary and it has left me feeling even more confused about how much sugar are we really supposed to eat? Sugar has become the latest health ‘scare’ and I can openly admit right now that I definitely eat too much (as you can probably tell from the vast amounts of baking I do). However, trying to find out how much is the right amount seems to be a fairly difficult task…

I adore sweet things and I definitely crave something sugary when I am having ‘one of those days’ or simply need an energy boost. I’ll choose a chocolate bar over a packet of crisps every time, a dessert over a starter. But what concerns me most is the amount of sugar that is also hidden in foods that we would assume have very little in…

A BBC article discusses the five main culprits, including bread and tomato-based pasta sauces. The amount of sugar in some pasta sauces doesn't really come as a surprise to me. I much prefer to make my pasta sauces from scratch so that I can see what is going in it, both for health reasons, but also simply for the flavour. However, when it comes to more savoury items, you tend to assume the sugar content will be low – well, at least that’s what I thought anyway.


Regardless of all this, I still feel that I am being sucked into the scaremongering surrounding sugar without much knowledge about what is really going on. Not because I don’t care about the guidelines, but because I don’t feel like they are particularly clear or accessible. The different RDA information that I have seen often tends to contradict each other. I do not for a minute plan on giving up all my lovely baking, or a bar of chocolate with a cup of tea – where would the fun be in that? However, I do believe that we need more accessible information about what sugar actually does, how much is actually okay, rather than the media simply convincing us that sugar is the devil and that is that…

I'm not claiming to know much about this but it is something that has really sparked my interest. I'd love to know what you think?

All this talk of sugar has made me fancy a biscuit!

Thanks for reading! Lauren x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!

© Food, Thoughts, Life | Lauren Taylor | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig