Monday 23 March 2015

Sweet Treats

Hello everyone! Monday again! Hope you all had a lovely weekend. After a day in Brighton on Saturday, we just had a relaxing, lazy day yesterday which was nice.

I think my boyfriend is starting to get a little concerned about the amount of baking I do. Most days he comes home to me handing him something new to try! Summer body...what summer body?

Yesterday I made some little sweet treats - jam tarts and apple and sultana tarts. I think making pastry by hand is sometimes a little daunting but it is a lot easier than it might seem. You could easily do these as just jam tarts or just apple.


To make 12 tarts, you will need:

For the shortcrust pastry
  • 2 oz of butter
  • 4 oz of plain flour
  • 3 tbsp of water
For the fillings
  • Strawberry jam (I used around a quarter of a jar)
  • 1 large cooking apple (peeled, cored and chopped - This was enough to make 5 tarts)
  • 2 tbsp of sugar
  • A handful of sultanas
  1. In a pan, simmer the apple and sugar on a medium heat until stewed. Leave aside to cool.
  2. In a large bowl, rub the flour and butter together until it reaches a breadcrumb like mixture. 
  3. Gradually add the water to bind the pastry together. Leave to sit in the fridge for 10 minutes.
  4. Roll out the pastry and cut out 12 circles. 
  5. Place these into a muffin tin and fill each one with a teaspoon of either the jam or apple mixture. Sprinkle sultanas over the apple tarts.
  6. Bake at 180c for around 15 minutes.



What are your favourite sweet treats?

Thanks for reading! Lauren x

Share:

4 comments

  1. These are so sweet. Homemade pastry is ten times nicer than shop brought!! Well done! 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like when I visit you I'll come home 10x heavier! ;) These look lovely :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy Lauren and I agree with Siobhan I think I've gain pounds looking at all your goodies LOL huggles Suexxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look good - no wonder Tom's worried! And I like the apple ones - nice idea!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!

© Food, Thoughts, Life | Lauren Taylor | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig